Thursday, June 23, 2005

Taking care of business

Ok. I've now been in this city for 4 weeks. Time to take stock of what I've done and where I'm at.

I HAVE NOT eaten any rice. Noodles, yes. Raw fish, yes. Big Macs, yes. But no rice. It helps when your kitchen contains of a one-burner cooktop, and nothing else.
I HAVE forgotten to take my shoes off before entering a house. I'm all for cultural awareness, but...y'know. Clearly, whoever invented this custom didnt own a pair of 10-up Doc Martens.
I HAVE NOT sung karaoke. If you havent heard me sing, trust me, this is a Good Thing.
I HAVE improved my chopstick skills. I have graduated from "Retarded" to "Special"
I HAVE NOT bought "used" garments from a vending machine. Don't act like you don't know what I'm talking about. I'm looking at you, Dave BP.
I HAVE learnt how to bow to people. And I'm using this knowledge as often as possible. I even bowed to a drink machine the other day. (I was in the process of removing the drink from the dispenser though)
I HAVE NOT understood why Japanese ladies like to look bronze. Not tanned, but seriously bronze. Like, 3rd-place-getting bronze. Bronze-age bronze. With frosted lipstick.
I HAVE started learning the language. I can say "neko" (cat), "merron" (melon) and...well, thats it, really. Unfortunately, not many people talk about melon-cats.
I HAVE NOT had a ride on the bullet train. Negiotiating my own neighbourhood is difficult enough. Stupid un-named streets.
I HAVE started to get a tan. Just tanned. Not bronzed.

Thats the first month down. 11 to go.